King's House on Schachen, Josef Röhrer and Georg Schneider (beginning in 1869)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Neuschwanstein Castle, Throne Room, Eduard Riedel, Georg Dollmann et.al (beginning in 1868)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Regen, Rail bridge crossing the Ohe, Heinrich Gottfried Gerber (1874-1877) Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Munich, Academy of Fine Arts, Gottfried von Neureuther (1874-1886)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Linderhof Palace, Georg Dollmann, Julius Hofmann et.al. (beginning in 1870)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Kulmbach, Meußdoerferr’sche Malzfabrik (1883)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch
Augsburg, Apartments on Volkhartstraße, Karl Albert Gollwitzer (1885-1890)
Photo: Myrzik und Jarisch

Palaces and FactoriesSeptember 26, 2018 – January 13, 2019 | Opening: September 25, 2018

The Architecture under King Ludwig II

This exhibition, which marks the 150th anniversary of the TU Munich, sheds light on the architectural history of the Kingdom of Bavaria during the reign of Ludwig II (1864-1886). The exhibition provides the first ever survey of the buildings constructed under his aegis, and of the projects that went unrealized. The focus is not just on the world-famous royal palaces and the spectacular theater projects which Ludwig II personally commissioned, but also on the public and private architectural developments of his time. These include prominent buildings such as the Munich Rathaus (Town Hall), the Munich Academy of Fine Arts and the Bayreuth Festival Theater, but also buildings which are less well-known, but are architecturally outstanding and of cultural-historical significance, such as the original building of the "New Polytechnic School" (now TU) in Munich, the synagogues in Munich and Nuremberg, the factory buildings of the Augsburg textile quarter and the ephemeral architecture created for the exhibition "Bayerische Landes-, Industrie-, Gewerbe- und Kunstausstellung," held in 1882 in Nuremberg.

Curator | Katrin Bäumler
Exhibition architecture | Studio Weave London
Exhibition graphic | Hannes Aechter